
Kenya National Union of Nurses members in Uasin Gishu County strike over unresolved grievances on July 30, 2026. [Wycliff Kipsang, Standard]
The Kenya National Union of Nurses and Midwives (KNUNM) has maintained that the nationwide nurses’ strike remains in force, warning members against returning to work following claims by some county officials that the industrial action has been called off.
Speaking during a briefing on Saturday, KNUNM Deputy Secretary General Maurice Odhiambo said the strike, which began on July 29, remained firmly on course until the union’s demands are addressed and implemented.
Odhiambo said only the union’s General Secretary has the authority to call off a national strike, warning that branch officials have no mandate to unilaterally end the industrial action.
He urged nurses to remain steadfast, particularly in counties where they may have been told that the strike had been called off.
The union said the responsibility for resolving the dispute now rests largely with the Council of Governors (CoG) and the Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC).
Odhiambo said the two institutions should sign and implement the CBA already concluded by the central negotiating team comprising the union and CoG, before taking it to SRC for a letter of no objection.
He said nurses would then return to work once the agreement is secured and registered.