
Newly elected Dock Workers Union (DWU) General Secretary Abubakar Mohamed Abdillahi in a slogan of solidarity with the newly elected officials during their inauguration ceremony held at the DWU headquarters along Jomo Kenyatta Avenue in Mombasa county.
Newly elected Dock Workers Union (DWU) general secretary Abubakar Abdillahi and his team took over office this week to find a full in-tray, promising to pursue irregularly withdrawn funds from the union accounts.
Abdillahi said initial investigation established that Sh82 million was withdrawn from one of the three union accounts and pledged to pursue the matter and have culprits punished. He said his team has reported the matter to the police for action.
Speaking at the union offices, Abdillahi noted that a day after the August 13 this year’s union meeting and hours before the new team was registered by the Registrar of Trade Unions, Sh1 million was withdrawn at 10 am.
The union account at Bandari Sacco has been emptied, according to Abdillahi.
“Every penny stolen from the union’s three bank accounts must be accounted for. We have so far found out that Sh82 million is missing from one of the union accounts and those responsible will be held to account. We are working closely with the Directorate of Criminal Investigation to recover the members’ money,” he said.
He said the new team will commission a comprehensive audit of the union accounts from the time of the former general secretary to Mr Sulman Owour’s tenure as acting general secretary in an effort to recover the missing cash.
Assistant general secretary Mr Gideon Matiku said the new team will visit workstations at the port of Mombasa and elsewhere to seek members’ views before engaging the KPA management in a dialogue.