
Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) Chief Executive Officer Dr. David Njengere during release of 2025 KCSE examination results on January 9, 2026 . [Jenipher Wachie, Standard]
The Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) has announced that all pending payments for the 2025 national examination personnel will be settled by Thursday, August 6.
KNEC Chief Executive Officer Dr. David Njengere said the council received Sh4.95 billion on Monday, enabling it to begin clearing outstanding payments owed to thousands of examination officials who administered the 2025 national examinations.
"We have received Sh4.95 billion. We will utilise Sh2.5 billion to pay last year's pending bills comprising supervisors and invigilators, centre managers, security personnel and marking centres," said Dr. Njengere when he appeared before National Assembly Education Committee on Tuesday.
The announcement brings relief to thousands of teachers and security officers who have waited for months to receive their allowances after conducting the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examinations.
The funds will also facilitate payments to centre managers and personnel involved in examination marking, whose dues have remained outstanding since the completion of last year's national examinations.
The delayed payments had attracted concern from teachers' unions and education stakeholders, who repeatedly urged the government to expedite the release of funds to compensate examination officials for services rendered.
The latest disbursement follows Parliament's approval of additional funding for the examinations council during the budget review process.