
File
The High Court sitting in Nairobi has granted betting firms and casinos a major reprieve after freezing new licensing fees. Justice William Musyoka said the main issue raised by the petitioners was the astronomic variance between the old amount and the newly introduced charges.
He said it was important to block the Gambling Regulatory Authority (GRA) from levying the new fees until the issue was resolved.
“Consequently, I shall, as I hereby do, vary the stay order, made on July 20, 2026, to limit it to staying implementation and enforcement of the increment on the fees, as set out in the Second Schedule and the gambling capital, as set out in the Third Schedule to the Gambling Control (Licensing) Regulations, 2026, pending hearing and disposal of the substantive motion,” ruled Justice Musyoka.
This comes as a fresh case was filed to now have the regulations declared unconstitutional.
Lawyer Biketi Wati, in his case filed under a certificate of urgency, argued that the new regulations were sneaked through Parliament.
He noted that several components, including the new charges, were not part of what had been submitted to the public for review and input.
In the initial case, two lawyers, Thomas Buckley Opal and Ken Brance, sued the GRA, Attorney General and the Prime Cabinet Secretary, arguing that the new regulations would cripple the industry and were allegedly passed without public participation.