
Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja during an inspection tour of the ongoing drainage system expansion. [ GPS]
Nairobi County has embarked on drainage expansion works aimed at mitigating floodwaters ahead of El Nino rains.
Governor Johnson Sakaja, while calling on city residents to remain alert and proactive, said City Hall has intensified preparations and accelerated identification of hotspots.
The governor on Friday said his administration is taking early and coordinated action to minimise the impact of heavy rains, urging residents to stay calm, pay attention to official information and follow guidance from the multi-agency team established to coordinate the city’s preparedness and emergency response.
“We are working proactively to address the challenges of flooding before El Nino hits the ground. We urge our people not to panic but to be alert and get information from our multi-agency team,” said Sakaja.
The Governor spoke during an inspection tour of several flood-prone areas in Nairobi, including the Mombasa Road-Bunyala Junction corridor and Globe Roundabout, which experienced significant flooding during previous heavy rains.
Sakaja said drainage works are already underway in the affected areas, with teams working to open up and deepen drainage channels, clear obstructions, and improve storm-water flow to prevent a repeat of the flooding witnessed previously.
