
Lead image for Mathare abductions: Witness protection boss summoned.
The High Court has ordered the Director of the Witness Protection Agency (WPA) to appear in person on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, to explain the status of witnesses whom the court directed should be placed under the agency’s protection.
The witnesses are relatives of victims who were allegedly abducted by police two months ago in Nairobi’s Mathare slums.
Justice Alexander Muteti, sitting at the Milimani High Court, issued the order after four lawyers representing the victims told the court they had not received any tangible information on the fate of the witnesses who were supposed to be protected.
Lawyers told the judge they had made several visits to the agency’s offices but had not received any substantive information about the witnesses, who fear for their lives.
They told the judge that despite making several visits to the agency, they had not been informed whether the witnesses who had recorded statements had been taken into protective custody or provided with safe houses.
There was no legal representation for the agency in court.