
Lead image for Court orders police IG to post 3 officers at Gatoto Primary following handover.
The High Court has ordered the Inspector General of Police National Police Service (NPS) Douglas Kanja to post three police officers to maintain peace at Gatoto Public Primary School following the handing over of the public school to five private individuals by PS Basic Education John Ololtuaa on August 19,2026.
Justice Gregory Mutai also directed Mr Gedion Ndambuki, a director of Gatoto Community Board of Management and Junior Secondary to pay for the services of the law enforcers to the NPS as provided for under the law.
The PS informed the court that the government has relinquished the management of the school following the court orders.
Urging the court to direct NPS to avail three police officers, the Law Society of Kenya (LSK) president Charles Kanjama said “the new managers have fears that they may be attacked by goons and forced out of the school again.”
Mr Kanjama informed the judge that on August 19,2026 the hand over exercise of the school to Mr Ndambuki’s team was peaceful as “the sponsors of goonsim had been kept at bay by Police through the command of OCPD Makadara Ms Judith Nyongesa.”
The handover exercise was overseen by DIG Eliud Langat , who attended the court proceedings then released by the judge to attend to other official engagements. “You are free to leave you have discharged your duty in ensuring a peaceful smooth hand over of Gatoto primary school management.”
However the judge was told still police presence in the school was much needed.
Stated Mr Kanjama: “I urge this court to order that police do remain in the school to maintain peace and keep at bay at insurgence by attackers as the new managers of the school are apprehensive that they be ambushed and attacked.”