
Lead image for 462 learners linked to school unrest arrested, probed, arraigned, ministry says.
Some 462 learners have been arrested, investigated, arraigned in court or subjected to other disciplinary processes over their alleged involvement in school unrest, including arson, attempted arson and vandalism, in four months up to July 31, 2026.
Data presented to Parliament by the Ministry of Education shows that the Nyanza region recorded the highest number of learners linked to the incidents at 26.2 percent, followed by Eastern at 25.3 percent and Rift Valley at 19.5 percent. No learner was processed in the North Eastern region.
The figures are contained in a report submitted to the National Assembly Education Committee by the State Department for Basic Education following concerns over the rising cases of school fires and student unrest across the country.
"As at July 31, a total of 462 learners had been arrested, investigated, arraigned in court, bonded, remanded, counselled or otherwise processed in connection with student unrest incidents countrywide," Basic Education Principal Secretary John Ololtuaa told the committee.
Basic Education Principal Secretary John Ololtuaa.
Combined, Nyanza, Eastern and Rift Valley accounted for 328 learners, translating to about 71 percent of all those processed in connection with unrest-related incidents.